Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Thoughtful Tuesdays : What Will I Leave Behind?

Today's excerpt has picked my brain and got my wheels turning. I  hope it does the same for you!

The following is an exact excerpt from the book Listening To Your Inner Voice by Douglas Bloch. I in no way possess any ownership of the following. I am simply sharing the thoughts, expressions and words of an author who has inspired me.

What Will I Leave Behind?
As we grow older and face our own mortality, we begin to ask ourselves, "After I am gone, will my life have made a difference? What will I leave behind?" One way to contribute to future generations is through art. The Latin proverb states, "Ars longa, vita brevis" (life is brief but art endures). Centuries after his death, a writer, painter, or musician still speaks to us through his creations. 
Acts of committed service also open the doors to immortality. As Martin Luther King, Jr., prophetically stated two weeks before his death, "I won't have much money to leave behind. I won't have the finer things in life to leave behind. I just want to leave a committed life behind."
Not everyone is required to make a sacrifice of Dr. King's magnitude, but all contributions have their impact. Whatever we give in loving service is what we leave behind. In the words of Thomas Stanley, "To leave the world a little bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch, or a redeemed social condition; to know that even one life has breathed easier because you have lived: This is to have succeeded."


Affirmations

          1. My life has a purpose and a meaning. 
          2. I have found something to live for. 
          3. I dedicate myself to a worthwhile endeavor.
          4. Though my existence is finite, my ability to love is infinite. 
          5. What I give in love shall endure forever. 
          6. Your Own ______________________.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment