If my ship sails from sight, it doesn't mean my journey ends, it simply means the river bends.
- Enoch Powell
Life is such a beautiful piece of art that is forever evolving with each layer of experience we encounter, each opportunity we create. It requires patience, flexibility, and passion. Being mindful to look inwards to your true self, as well as outwards to the world for inspiration.
My journey with visual expression has taken me on the most unexpected paths filled with beauty, love, and growth. With the most unexpected means of inspiration, and the most incredible opportunities. Something I've learned along the way, whether it be in my artistic journey, or journey though life as a whole, is that we must be open to the changes that come along, and trust that life is guiding us in the right direction. Trusting the process.
A lot of people tell me they'd love to try to a class, but they can't draw a stick man. So I tell them, in my classes, we don't draw stick people. I try to make art approachable for everyone. I want to make it a fun experience. Sometimes challenging, only to show everyone that they are capable of creating, that they can follow through on a task, and complete it with a beautiful result. I want to share the experience of the process. Getting lost in the brushstrokes, feeling the textures of the pastels, hypnotized by line movements of a pencil. Creating time and space to liberate yourself in a creative way. I like to deconstruct the final outcome into approachable steps to make it less intimidating. In this practice, we learn that anything is possible, depending how we view it, feel it, and execute it. So at the end of the class, the person who couldn't draw a stick man, has now created a completed masterpiece. Nothing is more rewarding than the way their eyes light up when they see what they created. When they unleash their potential. (Maybe I should offer a class on how to draw stick people now that I think about it. There are a lot of people who can't draw stick figures, good market to tap into haha)
“Life is pure adventure, and the sooner we realize that, the quicker we will be able to treat life as art.”
I've discovered something over the past few years. This reoccurring trend in my life. This past year I decided to finally start trusting this trend. You see, life has this incredible way of presenting opportunities to me at the right time. Life unfolds the most wonderful experiences when it knows I am ready. I still experience fear and hesitation but I am learning to trust the process more.
Our lives are one incredible adventure. Mine has led me down very unexpected roads. I'm about to set sail on a new unexpected adventure amigos. Ahh, this is so hard to share with you all. It's a very bittersweet adventure. One I am very much looking forward to, but one that brings much sadness. April will mark the end of art classes in the Spidey Cave here in Amherst. I will be moving to the St. Margaret's Bay area to begin a new, and very exciting chapter in life. I can't express how sad it is to leave behind the most incredible, supportive, wonderful group of creative souls who have shared so many phenomenal colourful adventures with me here in Amherst. It's a very yucky feeling having to change up this awesome routine we have going here. So I put a lot of thought into it and I have come up with some ideas that will help me to continue sharing art with you all, even if I no longer live here.
- Art classes will be available online - hopefully starting in May. Which means, you can create art in the comfort of your home..and maybe even in your pajamas! That's not too shabby of a deal haha.
- I will be offering all of my current clients, and anyone who joins in on the art classes between now and the last class in April a FREE online art class. The first online class will be the birdhouse painting that was scheduled for May's acrylics class.
- For those of you who have purchased a gift certificate for art classes, I will be in touch to arrange alternative options. You may choose to - use that amount towards the class once it is available in video format OR - schedule a private lesson in April to replace the class - still create the same piece. **Please contact me if you have any questions, or concerns or if you do not receive and email from me.**
- I may have to do a little rescheduling of classes for April. It would be for the Paint Like A Master Class currently scheduled for April 28 and 29. I would have to move them to the week of the 21, or maybe the 14. I will give plenty of notice though.
- I am looking into the idea of coming back to Amherst on a weekend say, or during school holidays (ex: Spring Break, or the summer) and renting a space to host a day of art. Lot's of details to figure out with this one so it may take a little bit of time, but I would love to hear feedback on what you think of this idea! Please. These classes are all about you amigos! I will keep you posted on this so stay tuned to my FB page for updates on this. **This may also be an option for private parties as well**
- If you happen to be traveling my way over the summer holidays check in to see if I'm having any classes that week, or feel free to book a session with me. I'm planning on spreading my love of art to those in the St. Margaret's Bay area, and there will definitely be a Spidey Cave ready for imaginations and lots of creations.
- The 'Liberate Your Inner Artist Card' will still be available to use and includes online classes as well! Your 6th class will always be free.
Well amigos, I gotta be honest, that was incredibly hard to write. I want you all to know how much you mean to me, and how proud I am of everything you create. How happy I am to see your passion for art. I know it's another two months away...but I am going to miss every single one of you. I know this is not a good bye, it's a 'See ya now the once!' type of parting. Goodbyes mean it'll be, like, a REALLY long time before you see them again. See ya now the once, isn't that long..depending I spose on how you say it haha. No seriously, it's not as long. I'll be back as often as I can for workshops, and art days, and maybe even parties.
Amherst, you have liberated your inner artist! I want to thank you for allowing me to share my passion with you. Thank you for trusting in the process and seeing the beautiful results of your work. Thank you for your support in making these art classes possible!
Much love to you all!