Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Thoughtful Tuesdays: It Is Better To Light A Candle

I'm not a religious person, but the song 'This Little Light of Mine' has always been a favorite of mine. Written in 1920 by Harry Dixon Loes, it has always brought a smile to my face, and goosebumps to my skin. As a child who faced many horrible things, this song inspired me to be ok with myself and to  keep going, despite all odds. Today, as an adult, and with another reading from Douglas Bloch, the meaning of this song has yet again brought me to another level of hope and inspiration.

As a 26 year old, it is understandable and normal that I am struggling to find my place in this world. Discover my identity, and create the life I will be happy with, proud of, and want to share. As a 26 year old female struggling with mental health issues,  a past of disturbing violence and growing up with a lack of healthy role models, this journey to self discovery has been a very dark, and confusing one. However, no matter how strong the wind blew, no matter how many big bad wolfs huffed and puffed, my candle stayed lit. Even though the flame flickered, it never fully went out.

I am on my way to loving the person I am becoming. It is not easy to do this, so when I can, I am proud of myself. As I struggle to discover what my values are, what is important to me, what I hold dear to my heart, it is easy to be confused by those who surround me. Their ways of living do not always match what is 'ideal' to me. I am conflicted by this. I am confused by this. I want to scream at them "WHY IS MONEY SO IMPORTANT TO YOU?!" I want to shake them and beg them to see there is more to life than materialistic things. I want to seriously ask them why they think they are better than others and feel the need to talk so poorly about others. How does that make them a better person, to put others down? But I don't instead I hide. Instead I keep quiet and find that I am losing myself in the process.  There is a way to balance this! YAHOO! A way to keep the peace, while allowing your light to shine through the darkness created. And this doesn't just apply to someone who annoys you with their negativity, this can apply to any situation where you find yourself in darkness!


The following is an exact excerpt from the book Listening To Your Inner Voice by Douglas Bloch. I in no way possess any ownership of the following. I am simply sharing the thoughts, expressions and words of an author who has inspired me.

It Is Better To Light A Candle
With all the negativity that surrounds us, it is easy to become overwhelmed.  It is also easy to fight against the negativity or declare war on it. Yet a master teacher offered a better way: "Resist not evil, but overcome evil with good." 
Imagine you are in a dark room. Wanting the darkness to leave, you curse and fight against it. But no matter how much effort you make, the darkness remains. Turn on the light switch, however, and the night vanishes in an instant.
In a similar manner, when the light of truth is shed on a situation, fear and disharmony dissolve. When you send out a positive thought to another person or take constructive action, an enormous amount of good is accomplished.  Each good act begets another until a network of love and light is created.
The purpose of life is to reflect this light into places that are dark. Let your light shine and stay focused on the power of love. When enough of us have turned on our spiritual light switches, the earth will become as bright  as a shining star. Where, then, could darkness dwell?

Affirmations
1. I focus on the positive.
2. Rather than being against hatred, I am for love.
3. I look for the good in each situation.
4. I am a person who seeks solutions.
5. Every problem I encounter contains a gift.
6. Your Own __________________.
 
 The speech at the beginning of this song is just as wonderful as the song! So I thought I would share this with you. Shine on my amigos!

No comments:

Post a Comment