Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Thoughtful Tuesdays : Not By Bread Alone

Happy Valentine's Day!! Once again, I am amused at the timing of  'Thoughtful Tuesdays' and where I am in my life journey. Today is a holiday, where like many others, the materialistic and commercialized pressures can take away from the purity and sincerity of the actual day. It can be challenging to step away from social pressures and place your wallet in safe keeping, but it sure does feel good! I kept my debit card hidden for this 'Hallmark' occasion and busted out some construction paper, glue sticks, and creativity instead. It doesn't matter if you are in a relationship or single, love makes the worlds go around.  As a very dear friend  of mine posted on her Facebook today, "Hippie Valentine's Day. Be kind to one another!"


The following is an exact excerpt from the book Listening To Your Inner Voice by Douglas Bloch. I in no way possess any ownership of the following. I am simply sharing the thoughts, expressions and words of an author who has inspired me.


Not By Bread Alone

The other day I was feeling off center, and so I took a walk around the block to lift my spirits. As I passed one of my neighbor's homes, I spotted a luxury car and began to imagine my pleasure at owning and driving such a vehicle. Suddenly, a still small voice whispered from within, "You can't fill a spiritual void with a physical object. Because you are a spiritual being living in a material world, your deeper needs for love and connectedness can never be satisfied in purely material terms."
And yet we climb the ladder of material success only to discover that it is leaning against the wrong wall. It is clear that human beings need a certain amount of food, clothing, shelter, and comfort to meet their physical needs. But anything beyond that is not truly essential for inner contentment. As the philosopher Marcus Aurelius said, "Very little is needed to make a happy life."
In Scripture we read "Man does not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds out of  the mouth of God." Ask yourself, "What are my spiritual and emotional needs, and what steps am I taking to address them?" As you begin to feed and nourish yourself with spiritual food, your soul's hunger will be filled. There is no deeper satisfaction than this.  
Affirmations

1. I nourish my soul with what it needs.
2. I know what is truly important in my life. 
          3. The love of my friends and family defines my true richness.


          4. My physical needs are more than met, and I give thanks for this. 

          5. I am peaceful and content at the deep level of my being. 


          6. Your Own ________________________.

And I'll send all my lovin' to YOU!
 
    

No comments:

Post a Comment