Thursday, March 15, 2012

Growing a Green Thumb

Well it looks like spring decided to go back into hiding. Despite the snow and the cold temperatures I am choosing to stay in my spring like mood. I turned on the jazz station, took out my pen and paper and started writing down ideas for my garden. What vegetables, fruits, and herbs I would love to see in my garden. Once that list (that is probably longer than Santa's naughty and nice list combined!) was finished, I started researching companion gardening. I had lots to learn. I'll be planting a fair bit of basil considering it repels mosquitoes and there are A LOT of mosquitoes here. Planting tomatoes near carrots, garlic, or basil protects them from red spiders. At the risk of sounding like a nerd bird, I think that's pretty  neat beans. I found this site to be helpful in figuring out the companionship of vegetables and herbs. (Click here for another site I researched)

Now it's on the exciting stuff! For the past two or three weeks, every time I step out back,  I can't help but get lost in a dreamworld of ideas for the garden. I know exactly where it will be (ok, I knew exactly where it would be until I discovered two nights ago that place is nothing but sand, so now I set a new location that has rich soil for growing) the only problem is designing the garden. I no longer need to spend money on a raised garden bed (yippee!) so time to create a new idea for the lay out. Oh words can't describe how excited I am. I'm going to sketch out a few ideas. I want this to be more than a square patch of dirt and veggies. I envision it being a spot where I can also go and meditate, do some sketching, and enjoy the colours and aromas that will be growing.

January 1 I set four main goals for myself. I already am doing well with one of those goals (to be in more art shows, and I have actively been in two, and by default ended up in a third) and now I'm making progress with my garden. I just can't wait for the weather to warm up so I get more hands on with it. Although, I think I'm going to need some heavy duty gardening gloves to help 'protect' me from the little creatures that play and live in the dirt. EW. Possibly something I'm going to have to get over in a hurry haha.

Hope you are working towards your goals, if you set any for the new year. If you did, post them in the comments below. I would love to hear about your goal accomplishments. Or your experience with gardening.

Well that's all folks! 

No comments:

Post a Comment