Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Thoughtful Tuesdays : Healing the Inner Child

Oh how I love today's excerpt. Since 2008 I have been practicing this way of living. It has made a world of a difference to my quality of life. It was introduced to me as a tool to help me cope with a traumatic childhood. At first I struggled with the concept so I printed off a picture of myself as a young child and glued it on a canvas surrounding it with paint, glitter, and an affirmation. This helped me visualize the concept of healing my inner child and made it easier to implement into my life. With time it became easier to listen to my inner child without using a visual. I have found a lot more balance in my life since I started healing and listening to my inner child. In my opinion it's definitely worth a try!


The following is an exact excerpt from the book Listening To Your Inner Voice by Douglas Bloch. I in no way possess any ownership of the following. I am simply sharing the thoughts, expressions and words of an author who has inspired me.

Healing the Inner Child

The other day I passed by a homeless person sleeping in the street. I studied his face - rough, tired, defeated. As I experienced compassion for his situations, I went back in time and imagined what he looked like as an infant - full of hope and expectation. I also realized that despite the outward circumstances, this inner child was still alive within him. For the next few days I perceived the inner child behind the masks of all whom I encountered.

What does the inner child want? It wants to be held, touched, and loved. It wants to belong. It wants to have fun, laugh, and play. What does this inner child provide? It gives us aliveness, energy, joy and vitality. It gives us curiosity and a sense of wonder. It gives us life.

Most of us have paid too little attention to the child within. In a culture where striving for success makes a life of "serious" business, we suffer from a common malady - a lack of connection with our childlike nature and the joy it brings. 

It is said, "Unless you become as little as a child, you cannot enter the kingdom of God." Resolve each day to ask your child what he or she needs or wants. Spend time getting to know him or her. Then note the increased vitality that comes from connecting with that central part of yourself. 

Affirmations

1. I love my inner child.
2. I give my inner child the attention it asks for.
3. I now allow my inner child to participate in my daily affairs.
4. My life is filled with joy.
5. I create ample time for play.
6. Your Own ________________

No comments:

Post a Comment