Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Thoughtful Tuesdays : Open Your Heart Again

As I read today's excerpt I kept nodding my head in agreement and felt a refreshing sense of renewal take over as I absorbed the message. It was a gentle reminder of such an important lesson in life. In a world with so much negativity it can be so easy to allow our hearts to harden, thinking that we are protecting ourselves.  In actual fact we are depriving ourselves from living life to the fullest and preventing ourselves from experiencing love to it's fullest. My wish for you reading this is to practice what Bloch is teaching here, challenge your past, give yourself permission to be vulnerable, and watch as your world changes for the better.

The following is an exact excerpt from the book Listening To Your Inner Voice by Douglas Bloch. I in no way possess any ownership of the following. I am simply sharing the thoughts, expressions and words of an author who has inspired me.

Open Your Heart Again

One of the most moving examples of the opening of a hardened heart is the story of Scrooge in Dicken's A Christmas Carol.  At an early age, Scrooge concluded that the world was a hard and cruel place. Making the accumulation of money his primary goal, he closed himself off from his fellow human beings. Although he attained worldly riches, he was spiritually desolate. 


The on Christmas Eve, he was graced with the opportunity to make a new choice - to open his heart to life. His physical wealth began to have a purpose. After his conversion, he paid for the operation that healed tiny Tim and contributed to numerous charities throughout London. 


I tell this story because there is a Scrooge in every one of us. In some area of life, you and I have hardened our hearts. Perhaps it is a former lover whom we have not forgiven; or we are angry at a political group that opposes our point of view; or an early wound has left a trail of hurt and cynicism. 


Whatever the person or circumstance, the solution is the same - open your heart again. If the old pain comes to surface, relax and breathe into the hurt. As your heart softens and expands, a deep compassion will fill your being. Like Scrooge, you are being reborn to a new life. You are being redeemed by the healing power of love. 


Affirmations


1. I open myself to the power of love.
2. I allow the hard places in my heart to soften.
3. I release all past hurts and resentments.
4. I am willing to risk again.
5. The more vulnerable I become, the more love I can experience.
6. Your Own _________________.

No comments:

Post a Comment