Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Thoughtful Tuesday : Forgive and Move On

I think today's blog excerpt may be the hardest so far for me. While they are many things I can forgive, even some very hard things, there are a few key elements in my past that no matter how hard I try to forgive I seem unable. Perhaps it is the result of too much pain and anger. Or it could be that each attempt to forgive was infected by the toxic actions of those I was trying to forgive. I implement the affirmation number two in the list below daily, and am fairly successful at numbers three and four. While I cannot deny the impact of my past and how it effects me I am getting better at affirmation five and focusing on remembering other aspects of my past. I was once told by a very wise person that I can choose to rewrite my past starting today and create a new history for myself. It certainly is a great way to help and change your focus. As for affirmation number one, I'm just not there yet. There are certain things in life I've learned to forgive and forget, but there are others that I simply cannot forget at all. Granted I hope as I continue my journey through this lifetime and continue to learn and grow, I will be able to accomplish this great concept. So with my little rant out of the way, I hope you are able to find this far less challenging than myself, or if not, be able to step up to the challenge and see where this takes you.


The following is an exact excerpt from the book Listening To Your Inner Voice by Douglas Bloch. I in no way possess any ownership of the following. I am simply sharing the thoughts, expressions and words of an author who has inspired me.

*Feel free to change the word 'God' to fit your belief system. I directly quoted Bloch's work.

Forgive and Move On

An essential aid to following the path of the inner voice is practicing forgiveness. Resentment comes from the Latin word resentir - to feel over and over again. By repeatedly re-experiencing the old resentments, we are less apt to our hear our intuition, which exists only in the present. 


When Jean married, she had not completed her unfinished business with her father. Consequently, she projected her old resentments onto her husband.  Her desire to love him was distorted by the hurt and anger from the past. This is why it is said that until we complete our source relationships, we are never truly in another relationship. 


Forgiving can also help you take back your  power. As long as you believe that someone else's actions are the cause of your present difficulties, you are powerless to change. Letting go of blame allows you to take responsibility for your life. 

All this adds up to a single point. Forgiveness is an act of self-kindness. It liberates your life force. It completes the past. Choose now to heal your old unfinished business. It's time to let go of the pain. Place your hurt on an alter and surrender it to God. Set yourself and others free.

Affirmations

1. I forgive and forget.
2. I am at peace with all that happens.
3. I release the old hurts.
4. I open my heart again.
5. I remember the past without the pain.
6. Your Own _____________

No comments:

Post a Comment