Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Thoughtful Tuesdays : The Wounded Healer

It was only a few days ago that I was having a fairly deep conversation that relates to today's post, with someone who I admire, respect, and learn so much from. In fact, she is the owner of this book, and let me borrow me back in the fall. While we sat outside enjoying the warm spring weather we focused on two main points. First we spoke of the pain (or in this case "wounds") that we all experience. It can be hard to watch a loved one have to go through a painful journey, and yet as much as we want them to not have to suffer, we have no right in asking a higher power to make it easier for them, or wishing it for them. This is their journey, and right now this is a learning opportunity for chance to grow from whatever challenge they are faced with. If we ask for this circumstance to be easy and pass quickly for this individual, they may miss out on a chance to grow from whatever challenge they are faced with. This may be a critical piece of their life journey. We can send them love and support, but we have no right to try and change it for them.
Which brought us to our next focus. Despite all the horrible "wounds" that have happened to us in our life (there has been a significant amount of wonderful too, we were just focusing on the 'perceived' negative) I shared how I  would not change a single thing. I've heard many times before from loved ones 'I wish I could have protected you, I wish I knew you then so I could have stopped this from happening, I wish I wish I wish'. Well I do not wish these things away. Though they were terrible things, painful "wounds", together, mixed in with the positive experiences as well, they have shaped me into the individual I am today. I am still healing from some of these wounds, and others have left tremendous scars on my soul. Regardless, who I am today has been greatly influenced from what I learned as I nurtured my 'wounds'. And so I share with you, today's Thoughtful Tuesday's post. Perhaps it will help you 'change the focus' if you are currently faced with something difficult, or challenging.

The following is an exact excerpt from the book Listening To Your Inner Voice by Douglas Bloch. I in no way possess any ownership of the following. I am simply sharing the thoughts, expressions and words of an author who has inspired me.

The Wounded Healer

Consider the following situations. A person born with a cleft palate becomes a surgeon specializing in the repair of the cleft palates. A stutterer who corrects his problem becomes a speech therapist. A recovering alcoholic now works as a drug rehabilitation counselor. These individuals are living the story of the "wounded healer" - a person who uses the understanding gained in his own healing to assist others with the same problem. 

A modern example of the wounded healer can be seen in the life of Bill W., the co-founder of Alcoholics Anonymous (A.A). Faced with an illness over which he was powerless, Bill W. joined forces with Dr. Bob Smith to create a society of fellow sufferers. Since its inception in 1953, A.A has become a source of healing and inspiration to millions of alcoholics around the world. The immensity of Bill W.'s suffering was redeemed by the infinite good that it accomplished. 

Because we all  suffer spiritual, emotional, mental, or physical "wounds," each of us has the capacity to be a wounded healer. Think back to times that you have been most effective in helping others. You will no doubt find that the wounds you helped to heal were the very same ones that you once overcame in your life. 

Thus, if you are dealing with a wound in your life right now, realize that one day your hurt will be a healing balm for another wounded soul. For this, give thanks. 


Affirmations

1. I know that the wounds in my life have a purpose and meaning.
2. Using the understanding and compassion gained from my own recovery, I reach out to others in the  same situation.
3. I give thanks for my ability to be of service in this way.
4. My hurt can be a healing balm for the suffering of others.
5. I have discovered a hidden blessing in my situation.
6. Your Own _____________.

1 comment:

  1. Oh how true...difficult lesson th learn... (Kim)

    ReplyDelete