Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Thoughtful Tuesdays: The Strength to Overcome

 I really enjoyed reading today's excerpt from Douglas Bloch's book Listening To Your Inner Voice. It was a well timed reminder for something I need to keep fresh in mind presently in my life. I'm sure I have shared this with you before but I will share it once more. Someone who I respect greatly in my life once told me to 'change the focus' when presented with a problem. If I only look at the situation from one angle, I could miss an opportunity to see a larger picture and to recognize room for personal growth. For the last several months since being given this advice, I have held it close to my heart. It has helped me in keeping a wise mind during moments of 'crisis'. It really helps. Lately it seems I have forgotten just how powerful it is. Thank you to Bloch for the reminder. Hope you find it just as useful!

The following is an exact excerpt from the book Listening To Your Inner Voice by Douglas Bloch. I in no way possess any ownership of the following. I am simply sharing the thoughts, expressions and words of an author who has inspired me.

*Feel free to change the word 'God' to fit your belief system. I directly quoted Bloch's work.

The Strength to Overcome

Life is a process of meeting and solving problems. Solving problems is a way that we test and develop our spiritual muscle. Think of outstanding people such as Abraham Lincoln, Mahatma Ghandi, and Helen Keller. Lincoln faced the problem of a divided country; Ghandi, an oppressed India; Keller, her personal handicaps. In rising to meet their challenges, these individuals expressed the qualities of vision, courage, fortitude, and compassion. They became great not in spite, but because of their problems.


Problems often come to us in the form of crisis. The Chinese glyph for the word crisis contains two symbols: one means danger and the other opportunity. When an obstacle is before you, use it to create a beneficial result. As with Lincoln, Ghandi, and Keller, let your problems bring out your greatness. 

Rather than pray for a life that is problem-free, ask for one that is solution-full. Instead of requesting that God remove the mountain before you, seek the strength to climb it. Remember that the best students always get the toughest problems. Love the problems you have, and their priceless gifts will be yours. 

Affirmations

1. My problems strengthen and bring out the best in me.
2. I face my problems courageously.
3. I uncover new challenges in my life.
4. I uncover hidden blessings in difficult circumstances.
5. When a crisis arises, I acknowledge the danger but embrace the opportunity.
6. You Own _____________.

No comments:

Post a Comment