Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Thoughtful Tuesdays: Hang On Tightly, Let Go Lightly

I've heard this story once before and yet somehow it was only this morning that something inside of me clicked as I read it. While I know I am nowhere close to saying, "Ah, so" when it comes time to let go, I am aware that all situations are temporary and I am working hard at trying to live in the present moment where I can truly enjoy them. I will have to keep affirmations 1, 2, and 5 close to me and begin implementing them in my daily practice of self healing so when times of change rise again I will be a little more prepared, and perhaps even, a little more at peace.

The following is an exact excerpt from the book Listening To Your Inner Voice by Douglas Bloch. I in no way possess any ownership of the following. I am simply sharing the thoughts, expressions and words of an author who has inspired me.


Hang On Tightly, Let Go Lightly

In ancient Japan, there once lived a solitary monk in a monastery high  atop a mountain. One day a woman in town became pregnant by a local fisherman. Wanting to protect her friend, she accused the monk of the deed. Following the baby's birth, the villagers took him to the monk and said, "Here! It was you who did this. You must now become responsible for the child." After a short pause, the monk simply bowed his head and said, "Ah, so." 

Although he had been used to living alone, the monk soon developed fondness for his new companion and a good parent to him. One day the boy's mother became gravely ill. As she lay dying, she confessed to what she had done. Once more, the townspeople took the long walk up the mountain and  spoke to the monk. "A mistake has been made. You are not the real father of the child. Although you dutifully cared for him  all these years, now you must give him up." After a moment of reflection the monk bowed and replied, "Ah, so."
 
Our lives are constantly changing. People and things come and go. All situations we create are only temporary. By viewing life from the larger perspective, our monastic friend was able to face both loss and gain with peace and tranquility.

It is not always easy to be detached, especially when we must release a situation or a person we love. But the new always rises to replace the old. And sooner or later you will arrive at the point where you, too, can smile and serenely say, "Ah, so."

Affirmations

1. I am serene, calm, and peaceful in the midst of change.
2. I accept the up times and the down times as having equal value in my life.
3. I see Divine perfection and order in all things.
4. I release those parts of my life that I need to let go.
5. From a peaceful place in the center of my being, I witness my life unfolding.
6. Your Own ______________.

No comments:

Post a Comment