Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Thoughtful Tuesdays : A Satisfied Mind


 I've experienced first hand those who live a life where they believe happiness can 'only' be found in the amount of dollar signs in their wallet, or the latest purchase from a store. I've seen those who strive to be the best in their field leaving other areas of their life - loved ones, personal nurturing time, etc on the far back burner. I have also experienced first hand, those who work respective careers / jobs to pay their expenses and also have balance by finding their happiness in other areas of life.  Those who have taken the time to look inside and find peace. I can tell you one thing, their happiness is far more pure and lasts far longer than the first group of people I mentioned. Despite how 'happy' the first group appears, I've seen them with their masks are off, when their guard is down. Peace of mind is not on their list.

If you are anything like me, please do not let the 'biblical story' shared in this excerpt stop you from reading the message. Last weekend I was compared to a biblical story. I took it word for word instead of hearing the root moral of the tale. Once I stepped back and had someone explain to me the message of the story and what was trying to be told me, I became far less rattled and appreciated the conversation more.

The following is an exact excerpt from the book Listening To Your Inner Voice by Douglas Bloch. I in no way possess any ownership of the following. I am simply sharing the thoughts, expressions and words of an author who has inspired me.

*Feel free to change the word 'God' to fit your belief system. I directly quoted Bloch's work.

A Satisfied Mind

A wise physician once said, "If you love your health, you've lost a great deal; but if you lose your peace of mind, you've lost everything!" A positive state of mind is a truly precious asset. 

We live in a world that places a premium on doing. Our happiness is measured by the size of our bank account or a list of our accomplishments. But all of our doing cannot substitute for a peaceful state of being - what the gospel singer calls "a satisfied mind".

This idea is illustrated in the biblical story of Mary and Martha. While Martha was rushing about trying to manipulate the world of effects, Mary turned within and raised her state of consciousness. Jesus comments, "Martha, Martha, you are worried and troubled by many things. But one thing is needed. Mary has been chosen the part which will not be taken from her. "

By making a satisfied mind her first priority, Mary had chosen wisely. You, too, can rise above the strife and confusion of the external world and experience the "peace of God, which passeth all understanding." In carrying this peace into your outer activities, you will become a far more powerful and effective force for change. 

Affirmations

1. I value and nurture my inner life.
2. I go within and tap the experiences of love, peace, and joy.
3. I am serene and content.
4. I give myself time to be.
5. I enjoy relaxing and being at rest.
6. Your Own _______________.

No comments:

Post a Comment